History of the Westenra Arms Hotel Monaghan
The Westenra Arms Hotel is a historic Hotel and Hostelry. Some of the foundations of older buildings on this site date back to the 17th Century. By 1824 a Thomas Kelly is listed as an innkeeper of the “Westenra Arms” – most likely it was a Coach Inn. In the 1830’s Mr James Curran and his wife Elizabeth were running the hotel. Miss Curran, a daughter, continued the hotel and in the 1860’s, Miss Emma Curran and sister are listed as leasing the premises from Mr Mitchell.
The Hotel was later bought by Lord Rossmore and re-built in the late 19th Century. In 1939 the proprietor and manageress of the hotel was Miss Mary F. Bain. At the beginning of World War 2 the telephone number for Monaghan was – 66. By the end of the 20th Century the Hotel proprietors were Peter and Anne Driver. Taking the Hotel into the 21st Century are the current proprietors, the McEnaney Family.
The McEnaney’s undertook major refurbishment work of the hotel in 2003 involving the careful restoration of many of the hotel’s original features. The Westenra Arms has served the people of Monaghan and further afield for nearly 200 years and has been a silent witness to all kinds of social events. Adverts of the 1950’s states, “This well –known First Class Hotel, a commanding building situated in the heart of Monaghan affords every possible convenience for visitors and commercials”.